The following blog post was featured in the July 31st 2019 online issue of INTERIOR DESIGN TORONTO.
Today’s guest post comes from Amparo Findlay, owner of Toronto-based interior design firm Amparo Findlay Interiors.
The idea for this article came during a conversation I had a few months ago with a friend of mine who considers herself an amateur interior designer. To be fair, she definitely has a natural talent for interior design & home decor and is obsessed with all things design….following social media feeds, reading all the magazines, watching all the tv shows, etc.
During our conversation, I asked her if she thought she could renovate a house just as well as an educated, certified, experienced and 100% legitimate interior designer?
She said YES
I, being a good friend…and slightly afraid of her….agreed.
But it got me thinking….when it comes time to renovate my home….should I hire an interior designer?
What does an interior designer do that a super-stylish person like my friend can’t do?
This is the question that I posed to interior designer Amparo Findlay. Here’s what she had to say:
Five reasons you should hire an interior designer
Your home is probably the biggest investment you’ll ever make. It should be a source of pride and a place of comfort. A qualified interior designer can help ensure your space is stylish and personal while saving you time and even money during the construction or renovation process. Here’s how:
1. When you undertake a home décor project or a new renovation, hiring a qualified interior designer is an investment. Not only will the meaningful and harmonious interiors they provide add value to your home, they will increase your enjoyment and comfort for years to come.
A trained designer approaches each project with a fresh assessment, combining their artistic expertise with your requirements and preferences, often adding splashes of flair and suggesting possibilities you could never have imagined!
2. A designer will help you deal with the renovation or construction process. One of the first things they will do is create a document package in the form of sketches, drawings, details and schedules. This will ensure your vision is executed accurately and within budget. It will also help your builder stay on schedule, communicate with contractors and avoid costly errors. A designer will help guide you through the multitude of decisions that need to be made ahead of the project start date. A smooth schedule saves you money and allows you to return to your home as planned.
3. Having a competent designer on your team means less stress. With an interior designer onside, you don’t have to worry about a million little decisions; that time is better spent on your family or career. Whether it’s a change to site conditions, material availability or contractor issues, an experienced professional can adjust and troubleshoot as needed, minimizing disruption and saving you money.
4. Designers know what’s worth spending money on and what isn’t. With a keen sense of imagination and eye for design, they are trained to see the potential in hidden gems. A designer can mix and match expensive pieces with less pricey finds to achieve your desired look and budget. They also know the marketplace and have access to trade resources and preferred pricing. There’s no need for endless showroom trips.
5. An interior designer can connect you with other professionals and resources. These invaluable resources are a huge benefit to clients . Most have relationships with artisans, upholsterers, workrooms and cabinet makers who can deliver quality products made with our outstanding attention to detail and workmanship. These craftsmen help designers deliver a sense of flair and luxury that cannot be bought off the shelf or online.
For more information, or to learn more about how Amparo can design interior spaces for you to feel wonderful in, please connect with us at 416.662.7165 and visit her website at www.amparofindlayinteriors.ca